We Care Hall Of Fame
The HALL OF FAME AWARD recognizes those who have made significant contributions to the growth and development of the Foodservice and Hospitality Industry.
2016 Winner – Gary Seaman
Gary Seaman was born and raised in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He began working part-time in the produce business at 14 and continued throughout university, graduating from Dalhousie Law School. He practiced law in Halifax for a couple of years before returning to the foodservice industry with Clover Produce, owned by Sobeys Inc. His first assignment was to start a foodservice business, which over the years grew organically and through acquisitions from a $13 million company to a $260 million business in 6 years.
Gary was then recruited by the Oshawa Group to run their wholesale organization in Atlantic Canada. He moved to Toronto in 1991 and began consolidation and growth of Oshawa’s Foodservice business. The dream had been to create a national foodservice company and with the support of the Wolfe family, SERCA Foodservice was created in 1994 with Gary as President. Events moved very quickly and with several large and small acquisitions, SERCA became Canada’s first national foodservice distributor. In 1998 SERCA was purchased by Sobeys Inc., a return to Gary’s roots, and Clover was merged with SERCA. By the time SERCA was sold in 2002, it had reached $2.5 billion in sales and produced over $400 million in net value for its shareholders.
From 2002 forward, Gary incorporated his own Company – SEAMAR Inc. and concentrated on investments, real estate and business consulting. Customers included foodservice manufacturers, foodservice distributors and international companies including McKinsey & Co. Additionally in 2004, an advertising distribution company was purchased. It continues to operate as SEAMAR Direct Marketing.
Gary, and his wife Donna, who works in the business with him, live in Woodbridge, Ontario and travel extensively to warm, sunny destinations as well as European adventures. They share an amazing life together and have many interests. Gary also has 2 fabulous children, Ashley and Justin.
From the time SERCA was created, an association with Friends of We Care began. Gary believes it is a wonderful organization and the opportunities created for We Care Kids are unmatched.
Friends of We Care is extremely pleased to present Gary Seaman with the Hall of Fame Award in recognition of his significant contributions to the growth and development of the foodservice and hospitality industry.
Past Winners of the We Care Hall of Fame Award:
- 2015 Mr. Murray Webb
- 2014 Mr. John Rothschild & Mr. Nick Perpick
- 2013 Mr. Michael McCain
- 2012 Mr. J. Aubrey MacMillan
- 2011 Mr. Vino Mistry
- 2010 Mr. Jack C. MacDonald
- 2009 Culinary, Hospitality and Tourism schools across Canada
- 2008 Mr. Reg Lambert (P)
- 2007 Mr. Joe Hudson
- 2006 Mr. Garry Knox
- 2005 Mr. Paul House
- 2004 Mr. Grey Sisson
- 2003 Mr. Hershel Goldhar, Mr. Jim Greenwood
- 2002 Mr. Michael Tamagi
- 2000 Mr. Peter McLaughlin
- 1999 Mr. Mitch Kostuch
- 1998 Mr. Paul Higgins Sr.
- 1997 Mr. Hal Gregory
- 1996 Mr. Malcolm Baxter, Mr. John Campbell
- 1995 Mr. Joe Flanagan (P)
- 1994 Mr. Norm Candelori, Mr. Mac Cuddy, Mr. David Llewellyn
- 1993 Mr. Wes Cheatley, Mr. Mike Driscoll
- 1992 Mr. Louis Fine, Mr. Jack Miller
- 1991 Mr. Bill Dover, Mr. Jim Pineo
- 1990 Mr. Ed Thatcher, Mr. Raoul Landry, Mr. Fred Bradley, Mr. Ted Hickeson(P)
- 1989 Mr. Bob Carmichael, Mr. Alex MacIntosh(P), Mr. Francois Malo
- 1988 Mr. Bill Tamagi, Mr. John Paul, Mr. Don Herron(P), Miss Ida Luck(P)
- 1987 Mr. Charlie Davies, Mr. Dick McWhirter